Thursday 2 July 2009

An Xtranormal Introduction

I will be introducing myself to approximately 60 teachers over the next few weeks while doing Teacher Refresher courses in Oxford and so I thought it might be fun to try out an Xtranormal film as an introductory activity.

What I usually do is write up a few correct and some incorrect statements about myself on the board and then get students to guess which ones are true by asking me specific questions. I give all answers as if they are correct and so the students have to catch me out. Once they have found out the real facts, they have a few moments to repeat the activity for themselves. In small groups, they test each other on their information. The video below is just a different medium for exploiting the same idea.



For more ideas on how to use Xtranormal, especially with younger learners, please read Alex Case's really informative posting "Xtranormal.com & young EFL learners". It is full of useful ideas and tips on how to use this nifty little Web 2.0 tool.

3 comments:

popps said...

hmmm, tricky.......i'll go for 'teacher for 10 years " and 'fave drink vodka ' as incorrect.

Janet Bianchini said...

Well done! One more to go..

Alex Case said...

Great idea. Although I've written a whole article on it that was partly to brainstorm ideas for myself and I've only used it a few times, so I'm always keen to have other people's ideas as comments under the article.

Thanks for the mention

Alex