Sunday 19 July 2009

Shift Happens

Our lives are changing dramatically as I am writing. The constant ebb and flow of technological innovation is startling. We cannot fight against this new age of the Technological Super Highway. I am trying to keep up in my own modest way and that is all I can do- in my own modest way. I have a stark choice: try to follow what on earth is going on or bury my head in the sand and get completely quagmired. The following 2007 video created by Karl Fisch is truly fascinating. Thank you Terry for mentioning it to me tonight. I had a choice. Go to bed early or see what "Shift Happens" was all about. I'm glad I chose the latter!

3 comments:

Alex Case said...

"I have a stark choice: try to follow what on earth is going on or bury my head in the sand and get completely quagmired."

Of course the best, but most difficult, thing to do is to find a happy medium, e.g. between exploiting the technology that students use in their everyday lives and giving them a break from it

Janet Bianchini said...

Absolutely! I completely forgot to mention the middle option...

An interesting point, though. How do you give kids a break from the all-engulfing technology? My eight-year old nephew is way up on "avatars" and has his own digital portfolio at school. I didn't even know what an "avatar" was at the beginning of this year!

popps said...

It's also easy to get mesmerized by what is going on.
Avatars are cool but what are we doing with them?
Google search is great but what are the top three things people are google searching?
Technology is sexy but if all it does is allow me to do what i could do already then it is less than the value that was invested in its creation.
I think the middle ground might be to develop an attitude of 'this is a tool, what does it allow me to do?"